Thursday, November 17, 2011

I enjoy writing things as though they were poems



Hello, Dear.
Get ready for a big wall of text.
Cause I have shit to do,
That I’m not going to.
In study hall,
We pretty much sit.
And listen.
And watch the large man
With the large rear
As he watches us.

There are two rules: Be quiet, be productive.
What if I were to be
Productive
But loud
And quiet
But sleep.

I slept last night.
A lot.
For the first time
In ages.
More like weeks.

This is A material.
Write shit like this,
Teachers eat it up.
Poetry is in the eye of the beholder.
If I phrase my thoughts
In coherent sentences,
With a new line for each one,
We can watch as it becomes
Real

I don’t have a connection with chemistry.
I don’t have chemistry with science
Math is slowly killing me
English—my sole alliance

Yes, I felt like there was a need for rhyming
Somewhere in this abyss of text.
It’s actually quite amusing

I bet you didn’t expect
A haiku to come
Out of thin air like magic

You counted the syllables
And found that I tricked you.
The last poem was a haiku,
Not the one before.


With the old Microsoft word
Making a column
Is so much harder
But I did it.
And now, there are two.

Oh, how I procrastinate.
It’s funny how much homework I have.
I will be up so fucking late.
I didn’t mean to rhyme, but did.
I should probably stop
Writing meaningless poems,
That actually aren’t poems
Just thoughts.
That I want you to read.

Here is me trying to write a real poem:

“It’s 2:32,
And it’s nothing new,
That I have shit to do.
But I’m not going to
Cause I feel so blue
And I would rather draw on my shoe.
How about you?”


Ah, I should’ve been a lyrist.
When you find this
I hope you laugh
Just a little
Because then
It would make all the procrastination
Slightly
More
Worth it.

-Radia Lahlou

1 comment: